Monday 6 February 2012

Beer #36 - Buffalo Bill's Brewery Blueberry Oatmeal Stout

Buffalo Bill's Brewery Blueberry Oatmeal Stout
www.buffalobillsbrewery.com

First off, I'd like to apologize for this being posted a day late - I had some unfortunate technical difficuties, meaning I botched up the scheduled publishing time/date of this one.  When I saw this brew I just had to try it, I love blueberrries and I love oatmeal stouts, so I had to find out how they would pair up.  Buffalo Bill's opened up in 1983 in Hayward, CA and has a full restaurant/brew pub attached - sounds like the perfect place to go sample some of their brews.  This particular brew is their winter seasonal beer which is a hearty 7.5% ABV.

It has a reddish brown colour with a cream coloured foamy head which clings to the side of the glass.

It smells strongly of both malt and blueberry, with an undertone of chocolate and hops.

It starts malty with the blueberry coming in right away, which changes flavours as the hops and chocolate come into play to finish with a bitter-sweet hops and berry medley of flavours.  The alcohol content is very apparent in the finish as it warms all the way down.

It drinks a lot lighter and smoother than you would expect with an oatmeal stout.

This is a really nice addition to the winter seasonal category, it is a change from a lot of the standard winter ales.  I think this may be my favourite of the fruity winter seasonals I tried this season.  I would recommend it as a perfect dessert beer after a nice hearty winter meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment